Common dental problems in the elderly – Cancun Cosmetic Dentistry
Maintaining good dental health is very important at any stage of life, but older patients are more at risk. In addition they are usually the patients who most avoid consultation, maybe because they don’t have money or are afraid of the dentist. This a big problem we seek to fix. Our dental clinic in Cancun has expert dentists in different specialties who will treat you in a kind and professional way while you get the best affordable dentistry in Cancun. Some of the most common dental problems on the elderly are the following:
- Dental caries. More than 90% of those over 65 have suffered tooth decay. In this sense it is very important to go to the trusted dentist at least twice a year. Thus, regular reviews are essential for good oral prevention.
- Bone Loss. The lack of dental pieces or poor placement of prostheses often cause complications with bone loss in the jaw and the mandible. Without the root of the tooth to stimulate the bone, this suffers from a process called resorption. In addition, a bad bite or bad chewing can alter the diet and digestion of the patient. Dental implants are a good solution for this problem.
- Dry mouth. This sensation is also known as xerostomia. This sensation is very uncomfortable for the patient. In general it is due to alterations in the production of saliva. One of the main factors is the intake of medications.
- Periodontal diseases. These are diseases in the gums. The main ones are gingivitis and periodontitis. Gingivitis consists of inflammation and bleeding of the gums, a process that is usually reversible. But if it is not treated in time it evolves to periodontitis that causes the mobility and even the loss of the tooth.
- Dental sensitivity. Over time, the gums retract and the enamel becomes more exposed. This produces dental sensitivity, which causes pain when eating cold or hot drinks as well as some food.
The key to avoiding the main oral diseases during old age is to go regularly to the dentist. If you want to know more about what our dentists in Cancun Cosmetic Dentistry can do for you call toll free from USA and Canada 1-800-565-1424, or if you are already on vacation in Cancun and want to meet us, you can call us for an appointment at the following local number (998) 1-40-51-25.