The 5 most common misconceptions about dental implants
Dental Implants in Cancun Cosmetic Dentistry
When people come to Cancun for Dental Implants or to any other dental clinic in general, there are some times when the patients have a wrong idea about what dental implants are and how they function. Is very important for both the patient and the doctor to make sure the patient understands clearly the steps procedure and details about care. For that reason we have gathered here the 5 most common misconceptions about dental implants:
- Dental Implants require less care than real teeth.This one is very common. Some people believe that because these are not ‘real teeth’ and are artificial, they do not require any more cleaning and protection. This is wrong. Titanium implants can still be subject to degradation if the plaque build up is not taken cared off with good oral hygiene.
- Dental implants are made of real teeth: Some people think implants can be made from real teeth because they don’t want metal on their gums. So far, there are only 2 main materials used for dental implants: titanium and zirconia. These are the most biocompatible materials so far that can bond with the bone and other human tissue without problems.
- Anyone can get dental implants. Dental implant technology has advanced a lot and many more people can enjoy restoring their life with new teeth… but sometimes patients don’t have enough bone or the bone is too fragile/brittle. This is the reason why our doctors always need to make a clinical evaluation as well of taking panoramic x-rays to make sure you are a candidate for dental implants.
- Dental Implants are similar to root canals. Some people get confused with implants and root canals because of the “posts” used in root canals. These are two very different procedures. The root canal’s main goal is to save the tooth for as long as possible, but when that is not possible anymore and the tooth falls or needs to be extracted the dental implant usually becomes the best option to replace it.
- The crowns of dental implants are permanent. While dental implants are meant to last, the crowns and the abutment conector to the implant might need to get replaced. Just like regular porcelain crowns, these can get loose or crack under pressure so the patient might need to get new ones years later.
If you want to know more about what our dentists in Cancun Cosmetic Dentistry can do for you call toll free from USA and Canada 1-800-565-1424, or if you are already on vacation in Cancun and want to meet us, you can call us for an appointment at the following local number (998) 1-40-51-25.