10 things that will surprise you about your mouth!
Today we are going to share with you some surprising facts about your mouth, teeth and dentistry in general! How many of these do you know? Let us know in our Facebook page if we missed something you know, and don’t forget to share this little piece of trivia with your friends!
- The enamel that covers your teeth is the hardest substance in the human body. This does not mean, however, that you should open bottles or break nuts with them, since enamel is not indestructible and it can be wore down with use.
- Right-handed people have the teeth of the right side of the mouth more worn, while left-handed people use the teeth of the left more.
- When we chew, we only move the lower jaw. It’s easier than moving your head up and down!
- For thousands of years toothpaste was made with pomez stone, animal hoof dust and eggshells. Oddly enough, there was no real improvement in the composition of this product until the nineteenth century.
- The world record for the world’s strongest teeth has a Belgian citizen, John Massis, who pulled several rail cars on Long Island with a rope between his teeth.
- Fear of the dentist is known as ‘odontophobia’. It is estimated that between 9% and 15% of the population has so much panic for the dentist they would endure a horrible toothache before they solve the problem.
- For a long time cavities were considered a disease of the rich who could afford sugary foods (honey, sweets, cakes, etc).
- In the past dentures were recomposed using teeth extracted from executed criminals or from recently slain young soldiers in wars. There is a huge collection of teeth that came from the Battle of Waterloo!
- George Washington’s false teeth were not made of wood but of carved out from the ivory of hippopotamus, and used human and horse teeth.
- The Mayans hammered seashells into the gums to make cosmetic dental implants to replace missing teeth. OUCH!
Do you know more? Let us know!
If you want to know more about what our dentists in Cancun Cosmetic Dentistry can do for you call toll free from USA and Canada 1-800-565-1424, or if you are already on vacation in Cancun and want to meet us, you can call us for an appointment at the following local number (998) 1-40-51-25.